Former Celtic and Scotland manager Gordon Strachan believes the club’s measured approach to recruitment will help Martin O’Neill’s side become more consistent this season.
Celtic were pushed all the way last season and required a final-day victory over Hearts to secure the Scottish Premiership title. However, the club have made an encouraging start to the new campaign, while their 3-0 win over LASK in Champions League qualifying on Wednesday night has strengthened belief around Parkhead.
Celtic remain strong favourites in the football betting odds to retain the Premiership title, but Strachan believes progression in Europe could be the factor that settles the club and its supporters.
Strachan defends Celtic’s transfer policy
Celtic have faced criticism over the past few seasons over their recruitment, but Strachan insists the club are right to take their time rather than spend recklessly.
The former Celtic boss believes the financial consequences of poor decision-making can be severe, particularly in a game where inflated transfer fees and wages can quickly place clubs under pressure.
“No, it’s due diligence,” Strachan said when asked whether he was concerned by Celtic’s slow start to the transfer window.
“Only a few clubs can spend in a certain way. If spending is reckless and player wages become ridiculous, you could put your club at risk. It’s been shown with other clubs in Scotland and England.
“If you do not do your homework properly, you can not only end up not winning trophies but losing your club.”
Strachan also rejected the suggestion that Celtic’s recent transfer business had been underwhelming. He pointed to the money generated from player sales, including the reported £22 million fee for Arne Engels, alongside the departures of Kyogo Furuhashi and Daizen Maeda.
“Celtic’s speed is right, as the four signings they’ve made are smashing signings,” he added.
“People talk about Celtic’s business not being that great. Engels is off for £22 million. Kyogo and Maeda also went for good money, so the money they bring in from players is truly phenomenal.”
Strachan believes Celtic must remain disciplined and ensure every new arrival fits the club’s existing structure and recruitment model.
He warned that outside pressure should not force the club into making deals that do not make sense, even if supporters are demanding immediate action.
“What Celtic have to do, like any professional, is do it without listening to the outside noise,” Strachan said.
“They’ve got to be brave enough to take more time and make sure that the deals that come in are suitable to Celtic and the model they have got.”
Celtic have won their opening two matches of the league season, but Strachan believes the Champions League will be the defining challenge.
“The timing’s right because they’ve won two games so far, but the big one for them now is the Champions League,” he said. “If they get through to the Champions League, not a word will be uttered.”
No need for boardroom changes
Celtic’s boardroom has faced sustained criticism from sections of the support, with fans calling for significant changes in the way the club operates.
Strachan, however, does not believe a change of leadership is necessary. He argued that Champions League football would do more to calm tensions than any major restructuring at boardroom level.
“There are only certain people that want change at the club,” Strachan said. “Other people are quite happy with the victories last season.
“I’d say it’s performance in the Champions League now that would settle everybody down.”
The former Scotland manager also pointed to the type of European occasions Celtic supporters have missed in recent seasons.
“I remember when Ange was there and they lost a few goals but had good attacking performances against top sides,” Strachan said.
“That’s what Celtic supporters are missing. They’re missing the games against Manchester United, Barcelona, matches like that.”
Celtic can reach the last 16
Strachan accepts that there is a limit to how far Celtic can realistically compete in the Champions League, particularly once they face the wealthiest clubs in European football.
Nevertheless, he believes Martin O’Neill’s squad could challenge for a place in the last 16 if the club complete further recruitment and avoid a repeat of last season’s injury problems.
“There’s a point where you can compete and there’s a point when you get to the mega teams where it’s nearly impossible to compete,” he said.
“I think when Celtic have finished the transfer window and it’s all settled then they have a good chance of getting to the last 16.”
Strachan believes injuries to Alistair Johnston, Cameron Carter-Vickers and Jota had a major impact on Celtic’s European campaign last season.
“You’ve got to remember last year at Celtic, Johnston, Carter-Vickers and Jota were all injured,” he said. “That’s three big players to go missing and people don’t take that into consideration.”
He also urged Celtic to retain their key players during the qualifying campaign, with Alistair Johnston attracting interest from clubs in England, before his injury picked up in the 5-1 win over Kilmarnock.
“If they can keep a hold of Johnston, especially as they try to qualify for the Champions League, or maybe until January, that would be a bonus,” Strachan said.
“But I would understand if everybody in Britain wants him as their right-back.
“If Celtic get another one or two players in and make it through to the Champions League, that would be great.”


